Step inside the revolutionary lives of the Impressionists with Art+Paris, a new book that combines the best elements of art books and travel guides for a totally new take on Impressionist Paris. This comprehensive guide combines an introduction to late 19th-century art history with color reproductions of famous Impressionist masterpieces, walking tours and detailed listings of the city’s art-related sites.
Art + Paris creates a vivid portrait of life in the 19th century and brings the reader along for the ride through four sections:
• A complete background course on Impressionism covering the dramatic lives of the artists and the group’s struggle to be recognized by the establishment in comprehensive biographies and engaging essays recounting their battle with the Salon.
• Illustrated listings of 150 must-see Impressionist paintings in Paris with the stories behind the art.
• Easy-to-follow tours that bring the reader into the streets of Paris to explore the places where the artists lived, fell in love, found inspiration and placed their easels to paint these famous works.
• An extended-travel journey through the French countryside, exploring Normandy and the quaint Paris suburbs where the artists learned to paint en plein air, out in the open air.
Illustrated with hundreds of beautiful, full-color photos and maps. Art + Paris is the most comprehensive guidebook to Impressionism for the armchair traveler, lovers of Paris, and educators alike.
• 500 full color paintings, 300 photos and 17 maps.
• Expert-written artist biographies on Édouard Manet, Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Paul Cézanne, Edgar Degas, Berthe Morisot, Gustave Caillebotte and Vincent van Gogh.
• Highlights from 7 leading Paris museums including the Musée d’Orsay and the Louvre.
• 8 Paris walking tours with detailed maps.
• 11 guides to travel to important historical Impressionist in picturesque towns and villages in Normandy and beyond including Auvres-sur-Oise, Giverny, Rouen, Le Havre, Étretat, Hofleur and more.
Praise for Art + Travel Europe
“With fantastic color reproductions and great value for the price, this little gem is as much fun for the armchair traveler as it is for the tourist eager to get a close up look at Europe s greatest artists.”
- Library Journal (Starred Review)
“Art enthusiasts will adore this book.” - The Chicago Tribune
“Thoughtful essays, excellent graphics, and easy-to-use information make this book a must-have for the traveling art lover.” - ForeWord Reviews
200 photographs and maps